Thursday, March 02, 2006

Paradoxes

I think the thing I hate most at times about the Christian life is that we don't explain the paradox of it's simplicity AND hard work.

Yes, you can say there are four easy steps to reconciliation. Ever tried to do it? What about when the person denies there is a problem, brushes you off, won't talk, is contrary, is emotionally distant, or it just doesn't seem to be God's time?

It reminds me of the assembly boxes full of parts that say, "Easy as 1-2-3!"

And several hours later, bummed nuckles, wrong tools missings screws (or all the right ones and one in the wrong place you can no longer get to), and you're wondering where either the "Easy" or the "1-2-3" fit in? All just a sales pitch? I mean, who'd buy it if they said on the box, "a killer to put together, but you'll be glad you did!"

So, how do we sell the Christian life accurately? I don't know. I don't know that we have to sell it at all, but I'm not sure about the wisdom of making it seem overly simplistic either.

I've tried things people said were just "Biblical" as if that made it easy. Sometimes the most "right" things there are to do are the most difficult.

Sometimes not.

In Christ, we just do it. The level of complexity should not make us afraid, make us run...it just reminds us how much more there is to learn to make the whole things work as well as it could or should.

Any thoughts welcome...if anyone finds this unadvertised post.

No comments: